Ways to maximize your security in your personal details, hosting, scripting and browsing habbits.
Van Isle BC Web Solutions has:
- installed a secure sockets layer certificate on our server(s).
-installed and throughly tested config server firewall, mailscanner, clamAv anti-virus, rkhunter, chrootkit, and mod security.
- been throughly tested and patched for security flaws
- we have used complex passwords for all parts of the website and web server
All passwords are stored using MD5 hashing, which turns your password into a un-decodable series of numbers and letters making it a lot harder to get your real password. Although your password is decodable, it still can be compared, making sure your password is not plain English words like clocks, dogs etc. but a word like d0g5, cl0ck% will make it a lot harder to compare to existing tables called rainbow tables (Refer to our next QA).
The most important thing is to make sure your password is unique and not a common word, to ensure your password is as secure as possible:
- Make sure your password is at least 8 characters
- Use numbers, letters and characters (eg: P@$$w0rD)
- Recommended to use at least 3 words, but one word with the above 2 points should be ok.
- Double check your email address is correct and only you have access to it, in case you forget your password.
Passphrases are the newest idea in securing passwords see our news article on The Weakest Link in Website Security for more information.
Powered By phpCOIN